Homeschooling Reluctant Writers
(A series of 10 fun writing assignments given by a pirate)
Aaaaarggh! This is Dread Pirate Susan Evans, here to give you ideas for homeschooling reluctant writers.
- Cut out pictures from magazines like National Geographic or any other magazine that might have a picture that gives you ideas on some story that might be behind it.
- (Showing 1st picture) Here we have a picture of someone pulling something out of the water. What is it? What could it be? Has he been looking for it for years? Is it pirate treasure?
- (Showing 2nd picture) And here we have people who haven’t seen each other for years. Why haven’t they seen each other for so long? Tell the story behind this picture.
- (Showing 3rd picture) This woman is saying good-bye to someone. Who is she saying good-bye to? Is it her son? Why is he going away?
- (Showing 4th picture) The people in this classroom are very upset. What are they upset about? How come? Are they going to cause a riot? What are they going to do next?
- (Showing 5th picture) Why is this woman being pulled out of a car? Is there something wrong? Is she being kidnapped in that car? What’s going on here? What’s going to happen next? Is she going to fall?
- (Showing 6th picture) And what’s this woman doing with a crocodile on her head? Did the crocodile just jump down on her head? Did she go hunting for it, and is she going to have it for dinner? She looks very brave. But what on earth is going to happen next?
So you see, any picture could have a story behind it that is interesting and exciting. You could even write a novel based on one picture.
This is Dread Pirate Susan Evans, signing off. Aaaaaarrrrggh!
Calling all homeschooled kids! I dare you to make a video response to this pirate video on YouTube:
- Write a full one-page story based on a magazine picture.
- Dress up as a pirate, and read your story into a video camera. Upload it to YouTube.
- Go to the above video on YouTube, and press “video response.”
- I am automatically notified when someone posts a video response. After watching it, I will embed it right here on this page!