- Cancel your cell phone. You don’t need it. Your quality of life will improve, and you will be “present.” (Read How Technology Rules Us.)
- Cancel cable. If you spend less time watching TV, you will find things to do that will relax you and create joy and family bonding.
- Don’t eat out. Have easy meals that you can make for little to no effort. A speaker once asked the moms in the audience if they had ever served Cheerios for dinner, and a huge number of hands went up. I didn’t know I was allowed to serve Cheerios for dinner! But it’s better than going deeper into slavery (debt).
- Sell everything in your house that you aren’t using. If you were to pile all your stuff on your front lawn, the pile would be higher than your house. You have that much junk. Get rid of it and make some cash for paying off that debt.
- Buy used clothing. Brand new clothes are way more expensive, both for you and for your children. (Read Saving Money on Children’s Clothes.)
- Cut the hair of your family. I am a pathetic hair dresser, I don’t know how to cut hair, and I hate doing it. But I’ve saved over $1,000 by cutting the hair of my family. Buy the hair cutting scissors only, and buy them separately. You don’t need all the other junk in the kit.
- Buy groceries with cash. If you use cash, you will count the amount that you are spending as you put the items in the cart; you will spend way less and eat healthier. It’s been proven that you spend more when you pay with a credit card. (Read Saving Money on Groceries.)
- Cancel all of your credit cards except for one. Pay that one off every month. If you don’t have actual money for something, don’t buy it.
- Stop buying your coffee at Starbucks. Make your coffee at home.
- Pray that God will help you get out of debt. God is in control of the entire universe, and money sometimes comes from sources you would have never imagined. The truth is that in all of the points above, if you ask God to help you, He will. God has provided specific clothing needs, for example, and hunters have given us frozen meat to fill our freezer for free. God’s economy is outside the box and unconventional. Seek Him first, and all the rest will follow.
Here is a funny video about cutting up your credit cards:
Comment below to enter a givaway for a free hardcover copy of Dave Ramsey’s book The Total Money Makeover, worth $24.99. I will announce the winner (and e-mail the winner) on January 5th, 2013. The winner must answer my e-mail within 48 hours to claim their prize, or I will pick another winner.
The winner is Melanie Brewin. Congratulations!! You won the Dave Ramsey book!
Don’t forget to leave your comment: What are some ways that you have gotten out of debt or stayed out of debt?Tweet