How do you teach your child to pray?
- If the child is young, you can have the child repeat simple phrases about real issues. For example, “Please help me not to be selfish and to share with my sister.”
- Give your children a good example yourself by praying in an honest way in front of them, without using lots of conventions and religious words that sound like God is unapproachable. Your kids become you; they will imitate how you pray.
- Don’t be afraid to confess sin openly. Admit your own sin before God in your prayers, so that they learn how to confess sin openly without condemnation, expecting forgiveness and change in their lives.
What can you learn from children as they pray?
Jesus says we are to become like little children to enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:1-6) What does this mean? What attributes do children display in their prayers?
- How to be trusting
- How to be open to God
- How to be humble
- How to have a wide-eyed wonder
- How to adore God in a fresh way
How to Lead Your Children to the Lord
In the audio I share how my husband and I led each of our children to the Lord. We wanted to make sure that they understood their depravity before coming to Christ, so that they could understand why they needed a Savior. We didn’t want to just pray a prayer with them and give them a false sense of being saved when they weren’t. On the other hand, we didn’t want to block our children from coming to Christ. After all, Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me.” (Matthew 19:14) That said, this is how we led each of our children to Christ:
- He Imitated My Spirit–how my oldest son came to know Christ
- He Smashed the Glass–how my second son came to know Christ
- It’s Hard for the Righteous to Be Saved–how my youngest son came to know Christ
- I’m So Sorry, Mommy…–how my daughter came to know Christ
I share each of these stories with you because maybe one of your children falls under one of the personalities listed above. For example, what do you do when you have a good kid who can’t see that he is a sinner? On the other hand, how to you reach a child who is ruled by anger? Is it possible to teach spiritual things without speaking a word? Hear the full stories in this powerful audio:
Right-click the link, “Save as,” and choose “Desktop” to download the audio.
To keep up with my prayer posts, follow my Prayer page on Facebook.Tweet